Lamb Tagine (Serves 2 with a little left over for lunch)
(Serves 2 with a little left over for lunch)
2 tbsps sunflower oil zest & juice of 1 orange
500g (1lb) lamb shoulder – diced 300 ml chicken stock
1 onion roughly chopped 15 dates, pitted & chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped salt & freshly ground pepper
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin To Serve, you will need:-
1 tsp turmeric Couscous
1 tsp ground cinnamon Handful slivered almonds,
½ tsp cayenne pepper toasted
4 tbsps ground almonds
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large saucepan and brown the lamb in batches and set aside.
- In same saucepan, sweat the roughly chopped onion and the sliced garlic. Stir in the ground coriander, cumin, turmeric & cinnamon & cayenne pepper. If it looks dry add some more sunflower oil. Cook for about 5 mins.
- Put the meat back in the saucepan and stir well to coat the lamb.
- Add the ground almonds and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the zest and juice of the orange, chicken stock & dates. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cover & cook for about 1 hour, stirring regularly.
- Season to taste. Serve with couscous & garnish with sprinkle of almonds & chopped fresh coriander.